The Verbal Behavior Milestones Assessment and Placement Program (VB-MAPP) is a language assessment based on B.F. Skinner’s Verbal Behavior (1957), a landmark analysis in the study of language and the teaching methodology of Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA). It is a behavioral approach to language assessment and can be used for any individual with significant language delays regardless of age.
There are 5 components of the VB-MAPP:
- Milestones Assessment: which is designed to provide a representative sample of a child’s existing verbal and related skills.
- Barriers Assessment: which provides an assessment of 24 common learning and language acquisition barriers faced by children with autism or other developmental disabilities.
- Transition Assessment: which contains 18 assessment areas and can help to identify whether a child is making meaningful progress and has acquired the skills necessary for learning in a less restrictive educational environment.
- Task Analysis and Supporting Skills: which provides a further breakdown of the skills, and serves as a more complete and ongoing learning and language skills curriculum guide.
- Placement and IEP Goals: which correspond with the four assessments above. The placement guide provides specific direction for each of the 170 milestones in the Milestones Assessment as well as suggestions for IEP goals.
The VB-MAPP is now available as an add-on feature to Rethink’s comprehensive program. Rethink provides educators with convenient, online access and an easy, paper-free way to utilize the VB-MAPP. The Rethink Lesson Library is also aligned to the VB-MAPP Assessment and provides lesson recommendations based on the scores attained on the assessment.